About Nusolar Holdings
NuSolar Holdings (Pty) Ltd is an investment enterprise with shareholding in companies focused on green energy, water and energy demand management and training and skills development for these industries.
Selection of investment opportunity is based on two primary criteria:
- Selection and marketing of high quality products – businesses strongly focused on quality assurance and technical expertise starting from product and systems research through to product selection and installations. The quality assurance model builds brand trust in product offering and delivery and ensures customer growth and preferred service provider status.
- Packaged products with innovative affordable financial solutions that have potential to create recurring income streams and build a client base that can be re-visited with new products and offers.
The principle investment is in the operations of Solarent, SD Africa, Easiwise Technologies and SA Solar Academy. Each business contributes a unique value, either in terms of support to operations or as a brand-leading end-customer supplier and has its own particular niche and modus operandi for communicating with clients and suppliers. Together the companies link up in a value chain with unique capacity in the market covering development of skills and professional tradesman through training and education, sourcing, distribution and direct sales of product and energy saving devices and solutions for residential and commercial markets and mass volume project roll outs.
The ethos of NuSolar Holdings can be summarised as follows:
- Entrepreneurial flare
- Talented, hardworking and enthusiastic people.
- Passionate about making a positive difference to the environment.
- Committed to building mutual benefits through long term relationships with stakeholders.
- Unashamedly Ethical.
Solar Distributors Africa (SDAfrica)
Solar Distributors Africa (SDAfrica) is proud of its track record and leadership role in the solar water heating industry in Southern African. Since its inception in 2009 it has participated in the supply and installation of over 10,000 solar water heaters nationally.
The company supplies solar technology to commercial developers, builders and resellers and turnkey contracts delivery to government, state-owned enterprises and municipalities. SDA has delivered turnkey services for mass solar water heater installations to large volume clients such as Eskom, local municipalities and international donor funders.
Specialised services are delivered for residential and bulk water meter installation and maintenance. SDA is a contractor for the City of Cape Town’s water management device roll out to some 20,000 indigent households in the Southern Peninsula region as well as new residential and bulk meter services under a two year contract to 2017.
Contracts which are in the pipeline for the next two years include supply of locally manufactured solar water heaters for Department of Energy’s mass roll-outs and energy optimization and conservation programs.
Product & Services
- Solar water heating systems: sourcing and supply to resellers.
- Solar water heating system: commercial installation design, supply and installation.
- 3rd Party logistics services: including warehousing and despatch for warranty and maintenance of electrical geyser and solar systems.
- Plumbing supplies: materials, water meters, piping and accessories.
- Project management services: related to mass roll out of solar water systems and energy efficiency solutions including heat pumps and lighting.
- Pre-installation assessments and solar-ready feasibility inspections and audits on areas and homes for SWH mass roll-outs
- Water Conservation Projects: water awareness program execution, installation of water management devices, bulk meters and provision of standby services.
- Directors: Tony Geldenhuys, Vusi Mngomezulu
- CIDB Reg: Grade 6 SO / Grade 1 EB / Grade 1 CE
- Level Two B-BBEE Contributor (Amended Codes of Good Practice)
- ISO 9001:2008 Compliant Certified
Solarent was launched in January 2010 specifically to sell solar water heating systems into the residential and commercial markets on a “rent-to-own” basis and is recognised as one of SA’s pioneers pursuing making solar affordable through financing. Today the company has installed over 1500 systems. In 2013 Solarent was appointed as a certified supplier to the City of Cape Town’s solar water heating program.
During 2014 the company launched its new and innovative solar water heating solution – Heatbox. Designed by the team in collaboration with a leading manufacturer, Heatbox is 35% cheaper than its nearest competitor and has an efficiency rating comparable with the high end systems. Sales to date have exceeded expectations and prospects for capturing the lion’s share of the market look very favourable. Heatbox is SABS and Eskom approved.
The system is exclusive to Solarent, however market demand has forced the company to consider bulk supply to other distributors and negotiations are underway which could see as many as 20,000 systems being supplied under an OEM basis nationally.
The company markets its products and services direct through a team of sales agents and installations are performed through accredited plumbing partners. A high level of sales management and business efficiency is enabled through a web-enabled customer relationship management system.
Product & Services
- Design and assembly of solar water heating systems.
- Supply and installation of revolutionary Heatbox pre-heater solar water system
- Retailer of solar water heating systems to residential households and commercial developers.
- Solar Water Heating bulk installation services.
- Quality Assurance Inspection Services for solar system installations.
- Energy efficiency devices to reduce electrical consumption in residential environments including LED lighting, geyser management and control, time based based electricity load controllers
- Energy efficiency devices to reduce electrical consumption in commercial and industrial environments including
- Air conditioning control motion detection switches for split and console units
- Lighting motion sensor on/off switches
- Time based electricity load controllers
- Pulsed lighting controllers for splitting light loads
- LED lighting
- Directors: Tony Geldenhuys | Corinne Geldenhuys
- NCR Registered
- City of Cape Town Accredited Installer
S A Solar Academy (SASA)
Solar Academy addresses the skills shortage, recognised as a major inhibitor to the growth of the plumbing, solar water heater and green energy markets, through their offer of customised training and development programs.
The training material is designed using the world renowned mind map association technique which enables learners to process information on an interactive basis via outcome based associations and contexts, ensuring high retention capacity and better understanding. Training is strongly oriented toward the practical and 50% of the training time is spent doing hands-on learning as well as installation simulations. This means that the courses are suitable for learners across varying levels of education and sophistication.
The company is SETA accredited and has affiliations with a number of Further Educational and Training facilities (FET’s) throughout South Africa.
Training programs are fully SAQA accredited and cover all levels from a basic entry program to the highest level NQF 4 accreditation.
In 2014 SASA was awarded a contract to train 300 solar installers in Gauteng under the Department of Labour’s skills development program. The program includes both theory and practical elements and each of the students will be placed with professional plumbers and paid a stipend by SASA to complete their qualification. The program will be rolled out nationally during the next two years.
Product & Services
- Skills development workshops for practical application of solar water heating in various environments
- Reseller training courses for 3rd party manufacturers of geysers, timers, heat pumps and solar systems
- SAQA accredited NQF plumbing courses for unskilled and semi skilled individuals aimed at developing local skills in targeted areas across South Africa
- Energy audits & intervention recommendations for optimising electrical consumption used for water heating
Cape Town (Head Office)
Unit 13, River’s Edge Business Park, Winelands Close, Stikland, Bellville, Western Cape
Tel: +27 (0)21 946 3424
Western Cape Water Meter Services Depot
2 Erica Way, Somerset Business Park, Helderberg
Unit 1, 27 Silverstone Crescent, Kyalami Business Park, Midrand
Tel: +27 (0)10 590-1162
Key Contact People
- Tony Geldenhuys – Group CEO
- Corinne Geldenhuys – Director, Solarent
- Sarel Joubert – Director, Easiwise Technologies
- Christine Masson – Quality Management Representative
- Marc Geldenhuys – Group Warehousing and Quality Control
- Chad Mundell – Water Projects
Company Registration No: 2014/205845/07
Shareholders Group Companies
- SDAfrica: Nusolar Holdings (49%) / Southern Palace Group (51%)
- Solarent: Nusolar Holdings (100%)
- SA Solar Academy: Nusolar Holdings (100%)
- Easiwise Technologies: Nusolar Holdings (100%)